Thursday, November 26, 2009

The latest, but not the greatest news...

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I got some pain medicine for my root canal which took over 2 hours! The medicine is finally helping me sleep! I am getting more than 2 hours a night now! Woo Hoo!

Since my last post I had a cysto-hydrodialation for my interstitial cystitis. That went OK, I'm still having a lot of pain in my bladder. Probably because I can't quit caffeine which is a big NO-NO when you have IC. I'm also supposed to eliminate chocolate, spicy foods, coffee, tea...and the list goes on. I have to cut out pop, which is my only vice. Unfortunately it is also hazardous to my health, so I have to do it. So I will...tomorrow...Oh, and I found out that my bladder fell again, and I need to have it lifted, AGAIN! My surgeon made it sound like they had a new way to do this though, so maybe it will last longer this time! I'll worry about that next year!

The day after my bladder surgery, I went to Seattle for a pre-op visit for my nerve resection, which was yesterday. My doctor took x-rays of my foot, finally (it had not been x-rayed since a week after surgery in August). Good news, my bone is healing! Bad news, I now have a condition called monkey toe! My entire bone has been slowly moving to the right. My bone has moved 17 degrees to the right. I will need another surgery to correct it, otherwise I won't be able to wear shoes because it has moved so much. That just sucks! I had the nerve resection so that it would hopefully eliminate the pain in my foot so I can finally wear shoes (I have been wearing slippers for 4 years now because the pressure of the shoe caused s much pain in my entrapped nerves)! This new surgery sounds like a bunionectomy, and we all know how well that went. Once my bone has healed enough, he will go in, cut a notch out of my bone and then break it and put another screw in to hold it straight! Sounds fun doesn't it? NOT! That is how this whole mess started, with a screw! I do trust this doctor completely, he has never done anything to harm me, or steer me wrong, so I have to trust him about this, but we will have a conversation about the screw, and see if there are other options. He put new screws in my toe in August, which seem OK (except for the fact that my entire bone is moving, but not disintegrating).

So, yesterday was my nerve resection. Good news, the nurse only needed 2 tries to get in my I.V. (my veins usually collapse). Bad news, the anesthesiologist put in my pain catheter before surgery while I was awake! That procedure wasn't too bad though, and I am SO GLAD to have that in. It has been 12 hours since surgery and my lower let is still numb! Unfortunately, my knee is killing me! I did not tear the cartilage in my knee as we thought, I just have more arthritis. The day before my nerve resection, my knee doc gave me a hypo-allergenic syn-visc injection under both kneecaps. I think that during surgery, my doc had to twist my leg to get to the outside of my left foot, and that, in combo with the injection in causing a lot of pain. Ice, pain meds and elevation don't seem to be helping, but since I can't put weight on my left foot, I have to use my scooter, which forces me to put weight on that knee and push with my right leg, which just adds to the pain in my knee. I could use crutches, but then it hurts my hip, back and underarms. I'll have to determine the lesser of the two evils and go with that. I also did not get a cast on my foot, like I originally thought I would. I only have an ace bandage on my foot, so that is nice. I still can't put weight on it, or get it wet, but it is so much lighter! So that's my story for today, Thanksgiving Day 2009! I am thankful to be alive and to be home for Thanksgiving! God bless you all for reading this blog and sharing in my journey! Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment